Preventing and mitigating the spread of COVID-19 in long term care centers is the top priority.
Environmental infection control practices are essential to reduce the risk of the virus entering
nursing centers and assisted living communities.
Detailed information on environmental infection control in health care settings can be found on
the CDC website: Guidelines for Environmental Infection Control in Health-Care Facilities and
Guidelines for Isolation Precautions.
The following environmental infection control practices should be implemented immediately:
- Hand washing stations or alcohol-based hand rubs should be immediately available at all
- Dedicated medical equipment should be used for patient care, when possible.
- Between each use, nondisposable medical equipment should be cleaned and
disinfected. This should be done according to manufacturer’s instructions and facility
- Management of laundry, food service utensils, and medical waste should be performed in
accordance with routine procedures.
- Environmental cleaning and disinfection procedures should be supervised. This ensures
that proper procedures are followed consistently and correctly.
Products with EPA-approved emerging viral pathogens claims are recommended for use
against COVID-19. These products can be identified by the following claim:
- “[Product name] has demonstrated effectiveness against viruses similar to COVID-19 on
hard nonporous surfaces. Therefore, this product can be used against COVID-19 when
used in accordance with the directions for use against [name of supporting virus] on hard,
This claim will be made only through communication outlets such as:
- Technical literature distributed to health care facilities, physicians, nurses, and public
- “1-800” consumer information services
- Social media sites
- Company websites
Specific claims for “COVID-19” will not appear on the product or master label. If there are no
available EPA-registered products that have an approved emerging viral pathogen claim for
COVID-19, products with label claims against human coronaviruses should be used according
to label instructions.
See additional information about EPA-approved emerging viral pathogens claims here.
A template handout for housekeeping staff on cleaning protocol is available here . You can
modify as needed for your facility’s needs.
Please email COVID19@ahca.org for additional questions, and visit
www.ahcancal.org/coronavirus for more information and resources.